Monday, November 25, 2013

HHV Exclusive: S. Dot talks production style and inspiration

HHV Exclusive: S. Dot talks production style and inspiration

SDotBy Stranga The Great
Hip Hop Vibe Staff Writer
Producers are the architects of the sounds that people generally associate with hip hop music. Some of the hottest beats are coming from the independent guys, just like how it is with the rappers. S. Dot is one of these producers who is making his way in the game independently.
This past year, Chox-Mak has had a breakout year and a good number of his beats were actually made by S. Dot. Because of this, he has been able to have a part in the success story that is still being written. What Chox-Mak is doing to the game is well-documented, so now here is info on one of the guys behind the scenes.
Hip Hop Vibe recently linked up with S. Dot and he spoke about how he ended up getting into the game. Very humble, S. Dot is also very outspoken and he was open and clear about his opinion on certain topics. Read this interview to find out more about S. Dot and what he doesn't like.
Read the entire interview below:
Where are you from? I was born in Hawaii, but raised in and representing Philly.
Do you have any groups or labels that you are affiliated with and talk a little bit about them? Yeah. my base camp is Jax City Entertainment. I’m the producer for S.D.Y.P, and associated with M.T.G. and Muscle Inc./RawLife.
How long have you been making beats and what inspired you to start making beats? I have been making beats for four years now, and I started on a PSP with Timbaland’s beatmaking program. I've been wantin to make beats, but never had the resources. My homeboy put me on to Fruity Loopz and I took off with it. What inspired me was the love of music and wanting to put my own sound and style out there in the streets.
What are some of the producers that inspire you to make beats and why? The Neptunes, Rockwilder, Just Blaze, Timbaland, Swizz Beatz, and Lex Luger. Reason being is their style and sound are all POWERFUL. Their melodies, booming bass, weird sounds, and crazy drum patterns inspired me to go further and beyond with my own joints.
What artist mainstream or indie that you would like to produce for in the future? Honestly, for mainstream and indie, I would want to produce for anybody that wanted to get on my beats. I challenge anybody and everybody to get on a S Dot Tizzle beat. I believe if the lyrics are hard, then the beat has to be hard and that goes for every genre of music!
Your beats are very unique can you explain a little of how you developed your style? My style has always came from what I was thinking in my head! I challenged myself to just put it out on notes and patterns! I try so hard to be different from everybody else, and in the process, it made my style.
Where do you see yourself in the production game in the next 5 years? I see myself being a BIG HIT! I think everybody will wanna get on a S Dot Tizzle beat. I also plan on doing more than just making beats. Like engineering, doing videos and making music for movie scores. I want to be in all aspects of producing, BASICALLY!
Out of all the artist you have worked with who do you believe your style meshes with most and why? HONESTLY, I would have to say Chox-Mak and Natural Dzaster are a tie. Both of them have straight up bodied my beats and made them hits, in my opinion!
How do you feel about the current state of hip hop and the “hottest producers” in the game? I think a lot of hot beats are being wasted by LAME rappers. To elaborate on that, I don’t need to because I’m pretty sure a lot of people would agree with me on that note!
Follow Stranga The Great on Twitter @StrangaTheGreat.
Be Sociable, Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment